Saturday, February 17, 2018

18 for 2018: Saturday, February 17, 2018

18 for 2018: Health
  1. Work up to walking 10,000 steps daily
  2. Walk 20,000 steps in one day
  3. Learn how to eat Paleo
  4. Get my fasting sugars below 110
  5. Eat breakfast every morning
  6. Complete the C25K program

Day 2 of the Paleo program went well, with one exception. I didn't’ eat the planned lunch, because my dad offered to come over and bring lunch with him. He makes the best brisket ever, and also brought a cheddar broccoli soup. In the Lenten spirit (and considering that my lunch is very small), I decided to enjoy a little of this delicious meal. The only thing that wasn’t strictly Paleo was the cheese in the soup, and I’ve already learned that cheese doesn’t do much to my blood sugars or cravings, as long as I have another protein source at the meal. As far as boot camps, made my bed again and said morning prayers amid distractions. On a roll!

Above you’ll find a partial list for my 18 for 2018: 18 goals that I want to accomplish this year. I’m debating on doing this every year for my birthday, but no time like January 1st and a Monday to start! I’ve been able to split my list up into 3 categories: Health, Home, and Habits. I’ve been getting about 6,000 steps a day in (up significantly from less than 4,000 usually), sometimes more, even hitting 13,000 a few times. I’m aiming for 10,000 every day by the end of March, but maybe April if health gets in the way. I’ve found new ways to move daily: walking farther in parking lots, heading upstairs several times a day, going down to the basement to refill our wood fire a few times a week (Matt takes care of it normally, and lets me know if I should top it off since I go to bed later than he does). I’ve found that doing chores ups my step count without noticing. Even if I’m watching TV, walking for 5 minutes at every commercial gets me a few thousand steps (about 100 steps a minute, give or take). Definitely aiming at the 20,000 for this summer, when I can get outside and exercise with Eleanor.

Learning how to eat Paleo is a longer-term goal that I’m planning on knowing by the end of June. By then, paleo should be my new normal and routine, so that’s how I’ll measure that success. I’m also experimenting with what/when/how I eat to get my morning fasting sugars consistently below 110. I can get them lower during the day, but not sure what it is at night. Breakfast every morning also goes under this category: it keeps my hormones (especially the hungry feeling and sleepy ones) under control and working well for me: no more midnight munchies!

I’ve been trying to complete a Couch to 5K program for many years, and have never successfully pulled it off. My hopes are that by losing weight, walking regularly, and gaining more energy, I can finally complete the program that I love, and feel that sense of accomplishment. Maybe even run an actual 5K later this year. The program is 8 weeks long, 3 days a week, so not super time consuming. I’m also going to work on that goal this summer.


Any goals I should try to accomplish after I turn 29? Start thinking as I share my other categories on Monday and Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment