Saturday, February 24, 2018

Progress on Moving into the House

I’ve been told it’s going to take me years to finish moving in to my home… and people clarified, years to empty all the boxes, to have a place for everything, and everything in its place. I’m a stubborn Irish/Scottish girl, always out to prove that every one else is wrong. So I’m not taking years. And I’m right on track to have every box empty and the house decluttered by Thanksgiving this year.

Today I moved every box, bag, and pile of junk off of my kitchen floor and found a space for all of it. Walking into my beautiful kitchen gave me so many ideas about what we could do with it, how much space there really is to add more storage, and what I could do with different spaces. It also gives me more creativity. It felt so good to be able to just make lunch without having to check to see if I had the right pan and other cooking tools. 

The kitchen isn’t totally done. We have been waiting 7 months for a cabinet to be built, and have things on top of our refrigerator that can’t be put away until that cabinet is built. I’d like to get a shelving unit in eventually to make the cabinets a little less cramped. But decorations are almost all hung, everything is off the floor, and everything has a place.

Next week, I’m working on the living room. It’s actually shaping up pretty well now that I’ve gotten the majority of the boxes unpacked. Although the Christmas stuff is boxed up, I still have to move it back into storage until this December. That’ll get about 3-4 storage boxes out of the living room and dining room in one fell swoop. I’ve been going through stuff I want to donate or sell in a yard sale, and I have to get that out of the house, no matter where it’s going. We have to get rid of one of our sectional pieces, move a table, and find a longer-term-but-still-temporary space for a rocking chair, at least until the 3rd bedroom is finished.


As much as I love to plan in advance, I’m playing around with a few ideas of what areas to focus on next. It really depends on when our landlord gets our bedroom floor finished (should’ve been last weekend, actually, so the clock is ticking). It seems weird that one room will help, but having a functional closet, dresser, and the biggest room I’ve ever slept in will allow us to spread out and use all the space we do have in the most efficient way possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment