Thursday, February 22, 2018

Complete a Sewing Project Every Month

I finally used for the first time the vintage sewing machine Hubby bought for me. It is so old, a lot of the settings are different than anything I’ve ever used before, it only has (as far as I can tell), 3 stitches, and it has a “darn” setting… and no, I don’t mean the nicer word for “damn”. Good, old-fashioned darning. Definitely going to figure out what that means.

I pulled it out to sew on my daughter’s Princess Elena costume. The costume was a birthday gift, but sadly the hem had started to fray almost instantly. I packed it away until later, because she was still too short for it. Between August and October, Peanut grew what feels like 5 feet, outgrowing all her new clothes. Thank heavens for Grandmother and thrift stores and taking advantage of yard sales to buy next year’s clothes a year early.

Peanut has “dress like a princess” day tomorrow, and wanted to be Princess Elena. After all, she is one of her 3 favorite princesses (Moana and Cinderella are the other 2), and the only costume she has. So I opened up my sewing table, figured out how to rethread it and make it do what I wanted, and went to town. Sewing the hem up felt so good, I went ahead and made Peanut a pillowcase that I had been promising to do since her party in June. Grandmother wrapped her gifts in a Princess Elena fabric instead of disposable wrapping paper (a tradition I hope she keeps doing!), and it was just enough for a simple small pillowcase, bigger than travel size but shorter than a regular pillow. Peanut has a travel sized pillow in it for now (she can’t fit too much on her huge bed, because she has about 50 animals that each need pillows, blankets, and goodnight kisses. Even 2 have to sleep on the floor next to the bed on a rug), but I’m planning on getting some matching material to extend it when it becomes necessary.


My next project, something I’ve wanted to do for more than a year now, is to sew up some sheets and curtains for her room. Grandmother is making her a quilt in beautiful pastel pinks, that will fit exactly the top of her oddly-shaped mattress. I have had the fabric forever, and now I have the machine to do it. I also have to find time to make an Easter dress (thankfully already cut out), and a St. Patrick’s Day outfit (at the very least a skirt). With only weeks for the clothes and a few months for the room decor, I think I’ll have plenty of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment