Wednesday, February 21, 2018

When Motivation Abandons You

It is 9:24 p.m. CT as I’m typing this out on my computer. No matter that I want to write everyday in order to regain my habit and as a way to keep myself accountable to my habits, resolutions, and values, today I’m just not feeling it. Over the past week that I’ve been writing this blog, I have had no shortage of writing material or inspiration. In fact, I’ve written some posts early and kept writing every day. Yesterday’s post was finished within half an hour. Today, I have spent 2 1/2 hours so far trying to write something, anything, that can mark progress and be inspiring. Something more than “I have writer’s block and my habits failed today.”

Even though I did fast today, I didn’t follow through on healthy eating habits and had instant flavored oatmeal, a cheese quesadilla, and some other random unhealthy for me foods. Then for dinner, I forgot that on Wednesdays I abstain from meat, and had a more healthy meal of chicken thighs and mixed salad (although with some ranch dressing on top of that). I binge-ate late last night on my way home from a health conference I had forgotten I signed up for, and while that conference was amazing and worthwhile, I was ill-prepared to find healthy fast food and fed into my burger cravings. Tomorrow, I’m going to dust myself off and start over, learning from this lesson instead of giving in to the feelings of failure.

Although I did make my bed and say morning prayers, I didn’t accomplish my house goals for today with the deadline of Friday to get the house in some kind of order. I spent way too much time sleeping and trying to come up with a blog topic, instead of folding the literal mountains of clean laundry sitting in the living room and dryer, or working on emptying out more boxes (although I did do a few boxes). Instead of giving up and just allowing my house to stay in disarray for our visitors on Friday, I’m going to re-prioritize, act motivated even if I’m not feeling it, and enlist some help from my husband and daughter tomorrow when they’re both around.


I still have to make preparations for food shopping tomorrow, I have to do some minimal cleaning of the kitchen, and I have to get some kind of sleep. So I’m going to wrap this up, and come back tomorrow with fresh ideas, better writing, and a healthier outlook on life.

No comments:

Post a Comment