Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Ash Wednesday 2018

 Lenten Resolutions
• 40 Steps to Easter
• Green Scapular Prayer
• No Meat Wednesdays
• Daily Fasting
• Stewardship of talents and Duty of State
• Donations to charity

I have dedicated the year of 2018 as a year of renewal, renewal in my faith, my hope, and my charity towards myself and those around me. I chose to focus on a different project or two for each month of the year, a “year of bootcamps”, where I would learn and cultivate a new talent every month and continue them on as the months passed.

January was simple: the month of Whole30. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes right before Christmas, and this way I could get my health under control, renew my energy, and work on moving into my kitchen and organizing it exactly the way it needed to be in order for me to cook in it. By the end of the month, I had fallen in love with my new way of living, I wasn’t counting carbs, I wasn’t hungry, and my blood sugar was well under control. I learned new recipes, and cooking and eating this way made me feel free, not constrained by measuring and adding and worrying about how to lower my blood sugars. Losing some weight brought me closer to my goal weight that would get me off diabetes medicine and keep me healthy.The past few days that I’ve indulged in carbs, sugars, and dairy, I’ve felt constricted and annoyed, and my sugars went higher into a dangerous zone. I’m getting back on the band wagon tomorrow!

February has worked great. I decided to spend this month making my bed every day and saying morning prayers. At first I wasn’t doing either first thing in the morning, but did get them done in the mornings. Now I say my morning prayers as soon as I wake up, and I am finding myself closer to my faith and to God. I’m finding it easier to practice patience and I’m less likely to be lazy or neglect my duty of state. Making the bed every day has brought me a sense of accomplishment and definitely gives me plenty of exercise.

I look forward to the rest of this year, updating this blog regularly, and promoting new habits that will strengthen my bonds with my own family, my friends, and those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment