Friday, February 16, 2018

February 16, 2018: Mid-month Check In


Today I started the Blood Sugar Regulation Paleo menu, and it went pretty well! I’m looking forward to the next month’s worth of new recipes. Since I’m fasting for Lent, fighting hunger has been my main challenge. Breakfast was zucchini carrot crustless quiche, lunch was green salad with salmon (canned but still great), and dinner was citrus macadamia fish with broccoli. Delicious. Eleanor is having some problems with no sweets or treats, but that’s to be expected. Next week, we’re going to start cleaning out her room and looking for toys to donate. She still gets pretty attached to them, but I think she’ll be able to start understanding the idea of sacrifice.

Tomorrow, we’ll be excited to get to the library for story hour. I’m in the middle of trying to get a library card, so hopefully that’ll come in soon and I’ll be able to check out books for her and me. I’m looking forward to renting more paleo cookbooks to add some variety to our menus.
This weekend, my kitchen goals are to make some kombucha (it’s pretty sour at this point, so I have to start over), make some clarified butter, and clean out our refrigerator. It’s smaller than our old one, so I may have to consider asking Matt to switch some things around once his back is better and he has some help (being a landlord’s wife has some advantages, one of them being that he has usually has an extra fridge in storage).

I am halfway through this month, and my newest “boot camps” are still going strong. I changed the bed sheets today, still doing positively in that direction for making the bed every day. It really makes a difference to climb into a well-made bed every night, I get decent morning exercise jumping from side to side of a King- size bed, and even though we are still living out of laundry baskets and have boxes all over our temporary room, the bed being made brings some order and peace of mind. Our landlord is supposed to come over tomorrow to finish sanding (and hopefully sealing) the floor, then we’ll have one more layer of seal to put on and maybe move in next weekend! Morning prayers also were said, continuing to further my prayer life.

As far as last month’s habits, it’s hard to measure exactly. The bootcamp was a round of Whole30, and that had continued onto the beginning of this month with reintroduction. I did keep a journal of my reactions to certain foods, and that helped me determine which foods will be worth it in the future. I decided to take a break from eating healthy for 5 days, and figured out that I actually end up doing more work trying to count carbs, if I don’t do it perfectly my sugars start skyrocketing (losing progress gets me down), and I’m hungry because what I’m eating isn’t nourishing my body. The only reason I’m not doing Whole30 right now, is because I’m doing Paleo. Since they are so similar that they’re practically the same thing, I think I’m following through on my habits I cultivated in January. I am cooking healthfully, I’m keeping up with the kitchen skills and cleaning that I implemented as a necessary antidote to all the dishes and cooking that I was doing in January, and Lent is a good time to offer that up as a sacrifice and fulfilling my duty of state currently as a homemaker, wife, and mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment